HOW TO USE RUSSIAN PIPING TIPS
- Choose a Russian piping tip to use, and place in a piping bag with the tip snipped off.
- Divide your buttercream into batches and tint with food coloring.
- Use a small spatula or knife to apply a layer of buttercream to the inside of the piping bag.
- Fill the bag with another color of buttercream.
- Smear a thin layer of buttercream onto a cupcake or the surface of your cake. This will allow the piped flowers to adhere to the surface.
- Pipe the flowers. If you’re using a soft meringue-based buttercream make sure to pipe just above the surface, squeeze, and the buttercream will come down to make contact with the cake, Continue squeezing while you pull up to build the flower. Finish by pulling up without squeezing. You can pipe leaves to fill in the blank spaces between the flowers.